Monday, December 5, 2011

Loss of a Fisch

As I was headed to my placement today in the wonders of traffic and rain on 696, I discovered that one of my golf members (Fisch) had passed (from a heart attack - right around 40).  Yes, "my" golf members.  I use to work at a golf course (for pretty much 3.5 years) and came to know a lot of the members very well.  I cannot describe how much fun this golf member was.  At times I felt like he would be extremely quiet, but only to come back with the most clever remark ever... yes, he was sarcastic and hilarious - and I always thought he kinda looked like Drew Carey.  Anyway - he ended up marrying one of my co-workers this fall.  The two of them were a pretty dynamic duo.  Some entertaining drinkers and people with huge hearts.  Whenever the bar was empty I would text them to come keep me company and they would always at least stop by to say, "hi."  Many of those "stops" ended up being long hours =). 


I can only imagine what my co-worker is going through now.  I am still in shock he is gone... Death is something I am becoming way too accustomed to and I am only 22 years old.  Well, I guess almost 23, but still too young to be use to death.  When I first entered college I had a friend who committed suicide.  This last summer a girl from my high school also committed suicide.  Both of these took me by complete shock.  These people were both extremely liked, funny, enteraining, would light up rooms they would walk into... it is still crazy to see how missed they are.  There's not a day that goes by that I do not think about those who have passed...

Anytime I hear "Waiting on a Woman" on the radio I think of my grandpa.  I can definitely see him sitting on a bench up in heaven just waiting on my grandma to get there.  I'm sure he misses her nagging at him all the time, "Johnny do this..."  They were definitely a sight to see.  Even though my grandma would nag at him I can still remember my grandpa's wake very vividly (it's only been a little over a year so I would hope I can still remember it).  Anyway - we were getting ready to leave, and if you have a grandma you know this takes awhile because she kept checking to make sure we had everything for tomorrow.  As we were walking out the door my grandma said, "Oh, I forgot something!"  My sister and I roll our eyes and are probably thinking, "What could we possibly have forgotten?!"  We turn around and follow her up to the door of the church where my grandpa was in his casket.  My grandma walked up to the casket, kissed my grandpa on the forehead, and said, "Night Johnny."  My sister and I instantly started crying (like I am now).  Our grandma told us after such a long time together it would just be wrong to not say goodnight to him.  I will never forget that moment.  To have this type of eternal love that goes past death is something I cannot imagine.  However, someday I hope to have someone that would care for me even half as much as how my grandparents cared for each other...

I think my golf member and my co-worker had this type of friendship that will last forever.  I cannot imagine what my co-worker is going through, but I'm sure if anyone asked her if it was worth being married for such a short amount of time, she without hestitation would say, "Hell yes."

No comments:

Post a Comment