Friday, December 9, 2011

Penny for your thoughts...

As I was talking to a classmate the other day about some class related topic, I decided to ask him a question that had been swirling around my head for quite some time.  My question was, "Do you think racism will go away or will become even worse in the future?"  My point was this... naturally, over a thousand years from now there will be a lot more people mixed with several different races.  Originally I was thinking this will be a great thing and racism will no longer occur (*hopefully*).  Then, I started thinking about the "last" people of a certain groups and if those people will fight really hard to keep their race alive or will be seen as a "pure-blood" (yes - like in Harry Potter).  My classmate and I started to agree this could be something that is a future downfall.  For some reason people care so much about their race, their culture, and their heritage.  This is rightfully so - however, people need to realize their culture and heritage will continue even if their "race" is not the dominating characteristic in a person. 

It is just a scary thought to realize change is currently occurring (even though it is slow), and the future could potentially bring us back to square one.  I can only hope this does not occur and people continue to learn from the past (not forget it) and grow.... Just a thought for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment